Monday, June 7, 2010

Growing Up Puerto Rican.

It was either I was such a Puerto Rican or such a white girl. And the only reason I was ever referred to as a blankita is because spanish was never taught to me therefor I can not hold a conversation. But oddly I can , read, write and understand it. Strange Right???

But you nor I can not deny this....being a Boriqua from The Lower East of Manhattan NY will stay with you forever. You remember the "pow-pows"? Or how about your parents or older siblings warning you that if you continue not to listen El Cuco was going to get you! How about going to relatives houses I mean like your elders....especially an aunts house and the couches were covered all in plastic. I am such you hispanics out there reading this can relate! The summer time would be so hot they need to take a spatula to peel you off that plastic couch. How about the piraguas.....LEMON my favorite. How about kneeling down on dry rice when you got into trouble. You and all your relatives cramming on one bed or in one room. The Latin Freestlye, THE BEST! How about Xuxa and Sabado Gigante y Walter Mercado, Ese hombre es real loco. Echo de menos ser un niño

But let me tell you I was allways getting in trouble so my father would hit me with the belt or chancleta. That was a normal thing in my family though lol.
Some of the memories of growing up Puerto Rican. Funny as I look back.

No comments:

Followers

Protected by Copyscape Online Infringement Detector